Tuesday 4 October 2011

Gulls of 2011

I always disliked gulls because they are so numerous and widespread and there reputation as a nuisance.It has only been this year that i have taken a keen interest in them.I think what got me going on gulls was the amazing photos Dave brown has of even the most common gulls.
I have been reading my field guides and doing a little bit of research on some of the gulls i have seen and some of the gulls i hope to see before the year is out.
I have also been checking a on a website that talks about gulls banded on cape sable island and there migration patterns.Its interesting to see how far some of them have gone and i think it would be cool if one was spotted at quidi vidy lake this winter !
I myself have been trying to get some close ups with some common gulls and so far i think I'm doing good.

          So far i have seen :
  • Laughing gull
  • Black-headed gull
  • Mew gull
  • Ring-billed gull
  • Herring gull
  • Great black-backed gull
  • Glaucous gull
Before 2011 is out I'm hoping to see:
  • Franklin's gull
  • Little gull
  • Bonaparte's gull
  • Yellow-legged gull
  • Lesser black-backed
  • Iceland gull
  • Thayers gull
  • Ivory gull
  • Sabine's gull
    I know some of them I'm going to have to be pretty lucky to see an others i expect to see.
    Its always good to have a wish list !


In my next post i may talk about a male hooded merganser i recently found or some song birds i plan on hunting down soon !

No comments:

Post a Comment